Managing Airbnb cleaners can be a hassle, but with the right tools and techniques, it can be made much easier. Here are five tips to help you manage your cleaners effectively:
- Create a Cleaning Checklist: A cleaning checklist ensures that cleaners know exactly what to do and what is expected of them. This list can include tasks like dusting, vacuuming, changing bed linens, and restocking. Having a checklist also makes it easier for you to monitor the cleaners’ progress and ensure that everything is done to a high standard, and makes it easier for your cleaner to ensure they don't miss anything.
- Use Technology: There are many cleaning management apps available that can help you keep track of cleaners and ensure that everything is being done according to your expectations. These apps can also help you schedule cleaners, assign tasks, and track their progress. For example, we make a Google calendar event for each clean and invite our cleaner. If they accept the invite, it automatic sends them reminders when they are scheduled.
- Have a Backup: Sometimes things don't go as planned, so it's important to be flexible and able to adjust to changing circumstances. If a cleaner can’t make it to a scheduled cleaning, make sure to have a backup plan in place so that the cleaning can still be done. Don't rely on a single cleaner for everything!
- Regular Communication: Regular communication is key to managing cleaners effectively. Make sure to check in with them periodically to ensure that everything is going well and to answer any questions they may have. A specific tip: have the cleaner send detailed pictures to you, the owner, once they are finished with each clean. This ensures the clean was done well and also helps if guests complain.
- Pay Well and On Time: Cleaners are the heart and soul of a short term rental business. Find a reliable, detailed-oriented cleaner and pay them well—cheaper isn't always best. And pay your cleaners on time, on a schedule you both agree to ahead of time.